Saturday

 

East meets West

This probably goes without saying but in Berlin, more than anywhere in the world maybe, the struggle between the soviets and America has been played out. I thought it ended when the Wall came down. But I was dead wrong.

Take this for example: Last night while out at a bar, talking to 2 new German friends I mentioned that I was surprised more people in Berlin didn't speak English. I have had one hell of a time trying to communicate for the most part, which surprised me. Our English speaking friend, Martin, explained it as such. Those from the East grow up learning Russian, not English.

It's obvious, but what a revelation, no wonder i've been flailing around so helplessly. There's a full generation of people in Berlin who are bilinugal in German and Russian. If only Pollock were here.

|