Wednesday

 

Getting lost

So I have no sense of direction or spatial orientation in general. Once I spend time in an area I get to know it, but I get lost fairly easily. Most people seem to think this is a bad thing. But last night I was wandering around Battery Park City and ended up next to Ground Zero without realizing I was there until I was right on top of it. I think it gave the experience some extra intensity which people who usually know where they are miss out on. Suddenly coming upon a giant hole in the ground surrounded by fences and construction apparatus really brought home the way the landscape of the city has been changed. Also, the idea that getting lost is not something to always be avoided is why I'm bothered by the proliferation of GPS. It sort of takes away the thrill of discovery.

|