Tuesday

 

One-liners

So apparently the NYPD is organizing a massive prostitution sting. In the story, new officers are being taught about how to work a prostitution sting. There are a lot of funny quotes from this piece, but the one I really liked was:
You're going to get some very unusual requests: kissing, hugging, talking, medical procedures," Detective James Held of the Vice Division told his November class, adding that none of those requests was a crime. He offered an example: "What if someone comes up to you and says: 'Do you know what I want you to do? I want you to dress up like a girl and I want to go back to a hotel room, and I want you to paint my toenails. I'll pay you a thousand dollars for the hour."
"I'll bring the nail polish!" called out Tisjé Golden, an officer from the 25th Precinct in East Harlem. Laughter rippled outward from her seat and spread though the audience.
Still, Detective Held clarified, that's not a crime. Prostitution is not like a game of horseshoes. Close isn't good enough. To determine whether a suspect's behavior is illegal, officers must consult a rigorous recipe. The first ingredient is a sexual act, whether promised or performed.
My reaction to this was to try to come up with jokes comparing prositution and horse shoes. I came up with three of these, and had three other, mostly better, ones submitted by a friend.

Q: What's the difference between prostitution and a game of horseshoes?
A: People are embarrassed to be caught involved in one and the other involves paying for sex.

Q: How is prostitution like a game of horseshoes?
A: They both involve catching something loosely on a pole.

Q: How do you tell the difference between prostitution and a game of horseshoes?
A: One's fun and the other involves throwing metal rings at a stick.

Q: How is prostitution like a game of horseshoes?
A: They are both something your dad does in the backyard.

Q: What do prostitution and shoeing a horse have in common?
A: Both can be done by local blacksmith for a nominal charge.

Q: How do you tell the difference between prostitution and a game of horseshoes?
A: I'll tell you later.


|