Monday

 

Aimless rambling

I was going to write a post about how songs that are partially in Spanish (or any other language) include the artist saying things which would just be boring or stupid in English. That potential post was inspired by my flipping through the channels and seeing the end of the video for Toma. At the end of the song there's a part where Pitbull (I didn't know who he was either, but I couldn't be much more out of touch with MTV) just repeatedly says, "Quitate la ropa," (take off your clothes). And then I realized that my example doesn't really back up my conjecture because, for instance, the hook of Nelly's Hot in Herre is, "it's gettin hot in here/ so take off all your clothes." Maybe that's not the same as just saying "take off your clothes" five or six times in a row, but it's not so dissimilar as to support my theory that lyrics not in English (but aimed primarily at an English speaking audience) are even worse than the worst English lyrics. Also, the only thing really interesting about the theory is that it may theoretically be possible for songs to have worse lyrics than current pop music.

|