Tuesday

 

Really?

Howard Dean: And there are significant numbers of pro-life Democrats in the South. And one lady said to me, you know, “I’m pro-life. I don’t like abortion. I would never have one. I would hope my daughter would never have one. But, you know, if the lady next door got herself in a fix, I’m not sure I should be the one to tell her what to do.” Now, we call that woman pro-choice, but she thinks of herself as pro-life. The minute we start with the “pro-choice, pro- choice, pro-choice,” she says, “Well, that’s not me.”

I buy the overall point that the Democratic position can be better presented as "abortion should be each woman's choice, not each politicians" or same variant thereof. But I find the empirical claim highly doubtful that there are people who call themselves pro-life and don't think that abortion rights should be significantly restricted relative to their current legal status.

(more from Jack O'Toole, via Drum)

|