Thursday

 

Qualia

Some thoughts that occurred to me while watching Piano Masters salute Piano Legends:

The sentence "The bass is too low" is ambiguous between (at least) a sentence referring to decibels and a sentence referring to hertz.

If/when I have children, I want to save the ticket stubs to everything I ever take them to which provides ticket stubs. This is because I wish I had ticket stubs from everything I'd ever been to, and while I could start now, it seems likes it's too late. But if I start for the kids, they'll have a head start and will hopefully get in the habit.

I find the lilting phrase (whether or not it actually lilts isn't strictly relevant) "Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy, a kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?" terrifying. Things that remind me of the phrase are slightly less terrifying. I have a good explanation why, but it would require such a *SPOILER WARNING* that I don't want to go into it. Many of you probably know anyway.

It was a real mistake to grant that oppositeness is linear (in the sense that it can be represented on a number line, not referring to the rate at which it grows), when it's clearly multi-dimensional. Consider some X such that X has many qualities, including extreme loudness. Linearly, we can only vary one quality, for instance, loudness. But if we take Y such that Y is exactly like X except that Y is silent, it is clearly not X's opposite.

Free movie gimmick (and by free I mean I now claim all proprietary rights to it, and possibly creative commons rights): Write a fairly intricate who-dun-it, with multiple murders and other crimes taking place, some of which are "solved" in the course of the plot and some of which remain unresolved. As the marketing campaign for this film, offer a million dollars to the first person to correctly explain who committed each crime, how they did it, and why they did it. Guarantee that all crimes were committed by characters listed in the credits who have speaking parts, and that there are clues leading to the answer in the film. I predict that this would, with a semi-competent marketing campaign, add greater than the million dollars and the cost of the marketing. It would do so through at least two channels: First, it would greatly increase the first weekend gross, since the audience would want to be the first or among the first to see it. Second, it would greatly increase repeat viewings. Of course, there would also be risks of it being the most bootlegged movie of all time. Also, it would be very important to keep the marketing campaign secret from as much of the cast and crew as possible, since otherwise they'd be too tempted towards mischief. This would be the case even with the usual contest rule of, "friends and family of people working for company X are ineligible." In fact, the screenwriter should keep the correct answer in his/ or her hands for as long as possible, though it seems impractical to have one person checking all the responses.

I should go to concerts where I have to be silent for long periods of time more often, I have thoughts I like.

1: Kenny Barron
2: Geri Allen
3: Randy Weston
4: Uri Caine

|