Monday

 

Action-guiding

If you're bothered by the passage of the Graham amendment, which I mentioned in both of my posts from Thursday, this is a very important time to call your Senator and urge passage of the Bingaman amendment (Senate Amendment 2517 to Senate Bill 1042), which will undo the stripping of Federal Court jurisdiction to hear habeas corpus pleas from Guantanamo detainees. This weekend, Katherine & Hilzoy of Obsidian Wings wrote really extensively on this, read it if you're interested. I know this is repetitive, but it's very important.

In unrelated news, I've followed Brad DeLong's advice and bought a copy of Nixon Agonistes. Having not yet read past the preface, I can safely state that it has a pretty cover.

I did read, following the bracketed comment in one of my Thursday posts, Akhil Amar's The Two-Tiered Structure of the Judiciary Act of 1789. Once I figure out how the principles expressed therein on when jurisdiction stripping is unconstitutional apply to stripping jurisdiction to hear statutory claims raised by a certain class of aliens, I'll probably post something about it.

|