Friday

 

Eulogy

"I said, 'I like the little things.' The way a glass feels in your hand, a good glass -- thick, with a heavy base. I love the sound an ice cube makes when you drop it from just the right height." We hear that sound exactly. "Too high, and it will chip when you drop it. Chip the ice and it will melt too fast in the Scotch."
...
"So anyway, I have a present for you." He hands it to Leo, saying, "Merry Christmas, Leo." Leo peels the bow off; we see that it's a small square picture frame holding the crumpled cocktail napkin upon which Leo wrote "Bartlet for America."...Leo looks at it for a moment, then raises his eyes to Jed, who says, "That was awfully nice of you." Leo smiles. Jed turns and goes into the Oval Office. Leo can't hold it back much longer; he sits down, letting out a little sob, and cries quietly, in a very dignified way.
R.I.P. John Spencer

|